Tuesday, October 20, 2009

A New Challenge . . . Cooking!


So far our philosophy in life, well in eating has been “when all else fails, let’s eat out.” But Eddie and I are trying to budget better, which in turn means eating out less. And cooking more. With most of October now behind me, I can safely say that the kitchen is become a more familiar place for me.

And so October is marked with:
• 13 recipes tried
• 2 oldies but goodies included
• 1 complete failure

So here is how October has looked so far:
October 1—We had dinner with the McEacherns house.
October 2 &3—Eddie had a client in town

So as you can see, I started the month off great!

1.October 4—Chick-n-broc pot pies
• Not my favorite, but Eddie seemed to like it.
• B-

2.October 5—Spaghetti
• An old favorite
• A+

3.October 6—Pulled Pork BBQ sandwiches
• Recommended by the Waldrums
• I think I may have overcooked it and would like to use my other crockpot next time
• B

4. October 7—Mini-meat loaves
• Tasted like meatballs
• I would say B+, Eddie gave it a C

5. October 8—Macaroni & cheese and chicken fingers
• Okay, I wouldn’t count this as cooking, though we did eat at home.
• A+

6. October 9—Firehouse Enchiladas
• Recommended by Laci
• I used chicken & next time I would use ground beef like it called for
• B-

7. October 10—Dinner at 1424 after Charis & Kyle's Wedding

8. October 11—Creamy Chicken & Rice
• Some of the rice seemed tough, not sure if it was overcooked or undercooked.
• C

9. October 12—Pizza Puffs
• This was the first “original” meal that Eddie and I both liked.
• It’s basically spaghetti sauce on top of biscuits. Super easy!
• A-

10. October 14—Oven Ranch Chicken
• I am on a roll! Super easy and served it with baked beans.
• A

October 15—I had chicken noodle soup 
• I admit I didn’t want to cook, so I had Campbells Chicken Noodle Soup—yum!

11. October 16—Cheddar Ham Noodle Casserole
• I admit to not knowing anything when it comes to cooking, so I improvised some, such as adding peas, and this turned out good.
• A-

12. October 17—Mexican Stew
• Recommended by Emma Fullilove
• Substituted red kidney beans & black beans with white and navy beans.
• A+

13. October 18—Chicken Noodle Casserole
• This was a little too cheesy for me. I would have liked to add some peas or broccoli.
• B

October 19—Eddie had a client in town
October 20—I have to work late

And so there you have it!

1 comment:

  1. Good for you! The hardest part for me is deciding on WHAT to cook. You need to post your favorite recipes so I can try 'em.

    ReplyDelete