I feel like this a really dorky thing to mention, but here I go. One day, I was looking in our backyard, and there were some baby birds and a momma bird. As I watched them over a two day time span, the baby birds would awkwardly flap their wings. I thought something was wrong, but the reality was that they just weren’t used to their wings yet. Later in the evening I checked on them again . . . and they were learning to fly. This was what really amazed. Momma bird hung out on the wire above the babies and kept calling to them. Then one of the birds would kind of hop along, flapping its wings. It would look like it might make it and then didn’t. The next bird would do the same thing, hopping along, flapping it’s wings. And then the next went. At one point, the birds huddle together, and one would kind of climb onto the other two, and with some height, tried again to fly. After a few minutes, their attempts paid off and off they went. They didn’t go far and seemed to have little control. One flew into one of the poles on our patio. But one managed to take off, and seemed to not look back. And then both flew to the fence, but couldn’t seem to clear it. They sat on the fence for a while, still trying to figure this out. Momma bird stayed near and called to them. And sure enough, off they went. It really was amazing to see these babies learn to fly. What are the odds? I’m not becoming a bird watcher . . . quite yet, though I admit to pulling out Eddie’s binoculars. But how can you not enjoy seeing the progression of life in nature?
(Sorry no pictures of the actual take off, I was so surprised that they were flying!)
No comments:
Post a Comment