Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Soup - Mmm, mmm, good?

At church we have been learning about “The Faith of our Fathers,” and Sunday’s sermon was about the story of Jacob. And in the story Jacob’s brother Esau gives up his birthright in exchange for a bowl of soup (Gen 25:30-33). Carl Gulley pointed out that we too often give up our birthrights as children of God in exchange for so many dumb things. And like with any great sermon, I have continued to think about it. At lifegroup last night, I mentioned that whatever the other things are in our lives, we grasp for because they are right there, compared to the blessings and promises of God. Esau could see, smell, and practically taste that bowl of soup, and had little thought of his future inheritance in comparison to what was right in front of him. I feel like there is so many comparisons in our lives to this truth . . . yet I fail to learn the lesson. Last night, I said I feel like it is like saving money. If we save little by little, over the long haul, we could possibly achieve that financial goal. But as we turn down $2 here and $20 there, it feels so far away. The thing I want to buy is right there . . . to have . . . now, but my ultimate goal seems so far off. Or in terms of managing weight, if I skip dessert today, I don’t automatically become thin, but overtime, small changes can change everything. But again the desert is right there . . . to have . . . now, but the ultimate goal seems so far off. The same thing happens spiritually. My spending a few minutes with God today won’t change me into a spiritual giant overnight. I may not even feel his love or presence when I meet with Him. Every distraction . . . TV, my husband, sleep, friends, the phone, it is all right there . . . to have . . . now, but my ultimate goal to be a woman after God’s own heart, and to follow him wholeheartedly daily . . . that goal, that dream, that hope, seems so far off. But like all these things, small steps, small changes, and small efforts will lead to bigger things, bigger steps, and bigger life changes, and everything can change and dreams can be achieved. It can change my day, my life, my faith, my family, my everything! Today, will I pass up that bowl of soup and live in such a way to claim my birthright as a child of God?



No comments:

Post a Comment